The Levins- Harmony-Driven Contemporary Folk
The contemporary harmony-driven folk duo, The Levins ( leVINNS) offers lyrically-rich acoustic music that is warm and uplifting without skating over life's complexities. Their music connects on a universal level with a lighthearted depth while celebrating our common humanity.
The Levins are a harmony-driven acoustic duo known for their sun-splashed, peace infused songwriting that connects on a universal level. From harmony in voice to harmony for humanity, husband and wife duo, The Levins, seek to uplift and unite with unflinchingly feel-good folk-pop, infectious musicality, sharp songwriting skills, and a unique approach to vocal harmonies that is both soulful and unexpected. The duo’s vocal interlace is perched on a rich bed of guitar and piano instrumentation.
Tracks by The Levins would fit snuggly on playlists alongside songs by The Weepies, Cat Stevens, Simon & Garfunkel, Iron & Wine, Sufjan Stevens, Fleet Foxes, and Patty Griffin.
“Similar in stance to the Milk Carton Kids, these songs are flush with sensitivity and suggestion, a quiet folk-like approach that proffers a precious and pleasing sound in an exceptionally assured way.” - Lee Zimmerman/ Goldmine Magazine
The Levins have garnered prime accolades and acclaim for boldly uncompromising and heartfelt music. Select highlights include ranking on Folk and Roots DJ charts, nabbing Top 10 positions and landing on multiple DJ yearly Top 10 song and album lists, as well as earning awards from recognized platforms such as Indie Acoustic, Empower Music, CTFolk, S.Florida Festival, and MASC.
"The open hearted songs of The Levins feed my soul. What the world needs now more than ever is the poetry, spirituality, and humanity of their upliftng musicality." - John Platt, WFUV
“The Levins sing from their soul and reach the souls of others. They are the minstrels of the spirit for this age of spirituality. Ira and Julia belong to a very small group of artists writing lyrics and music that embodies the inter-spiritual message of our time. They are right up there with the best of the best song writers of this generation.”– Dr. Andrew Vidich, Author of Light Upon Light, and Let There Be Light.
Caravan of Dawn Reviews 2019:
“With Caravan of Dawn, The Levins emulate a timeless sound that’s chock full of seamless harmonies, simple, supple melodies and the kind of unassuming but reassuring melodies that might have sprung from the seminal sounds of the Laurel Canyon scene during its heyday in the late ‘60s. As a couple, Ira and Julia Levin seem to have the instincts and intuition to see these expressive songs through to fruition; indeed, their vocal interplay is the essential element in their carefully construed delivery. Other instruments -- cello, trumpet, percussion -- add fullness to the flow, even though the delicacy and dream-like delivery fortunately remain unhindered. Similar in stance to the Milk Carton Kids, these songs are flush with sensitivity and suggestion, a quiet folk-like approach that proffers a precious and pleasing sound in an exceptionally assured way. Sweetly seductive and unerringly sublime, Caravan of Dawn is a journey worth joining.”
-Lee Zimmerman/ Indie Spotlight April 2019- Goldmine Magazine
The Levins tap into musical inspiration that is both inspiring and inspired. They seek to create a musical harmony meant to raise listeners to a higher plane. Caravan of Dawn is a gorgeous work!
-Joltin Joe Pszonek/ Radio Nowhere
“The Levins speak to our better selves with their crystalline harmonies and uplifting lyrics.” – John Platt/ WFUV
"Another beautiful record from The Levins. Their songwriting and harmonies are full of joyous melodic and harmonic twists and delights. I love them.”
- John Hammel / "Mozart to Motorhead" Radio host
"The Levins exude hope in every album they release. Caravan of Dawn is another step in the evolving search for harmony in a chaotic world. Their voices blend seamlessly as their songs present the world and themselves within an aura of beauty. They beckon us to follow them into a luminous vision that we can create together. Caravan of Dawn is a dazzling work of art to help us get there. ."- Richard Cuccaro/ Acoustic Live in NYC and Beyond
You guys!! C'mon!! Truly a masterstroke and your most complete album to date. If you held me to one word it would be... FRUITION. This is Art, born of Love. Thank you both! Frui : Latin root meaning to enjoy, and I certainly did. And that was one listening. Bravo!!- Mark Stidham/ Luthier
THANK YOU, it was truly a deep and profound evening, I had some beautiful, even tear -illed feed back! 2 women came up to me afterwards, both in sweet heart touching tears. "I didn't expect to be sooo deeply moved, this was not just Beautiful Music, this was a true Spiritual experience "!!! The other just hugged me, thanking me for booking You, in tearful smiles, blessed to have been sooo deeply moved by the evening.
- D.J. NY venue operator / RE: CD Release Preview concert, Long Island, NY
HIGHLIGHTS so far…..
- 2019"Brighter Day"- Top 10 Song/ Ron Olesko, WFDU Traditions and FolkMusicNotebook.com
- 2019 "Brighter Day"- Top 10 Song/ John Platt, WFUV
- 2019 Caravan of Dawn CD- Top 10 CD/ Joe Pzsonek, Radio Nowhere and WNTI's Eclectic Train Wreck
- 2019 "Sorrow Inside Joy"- Honorable Mention/ Mid-Atlantic Songwriting Competition
- 2019 Original play based on album, My Friend Hafiz, nominated for 10 Theater Bay Area Awards.
- 2019 "Story I Can Hear"-#1 song on Radio Guitar One/Folk Cuts
- 2019 "Story I Can Hear"- #3 song on Roots Chart/ May
- 2019 Caravan of Dawn CD- #10 Folk DJ Charts/ May
- 2018 Original play based on album, My Friend Hafiz, premiered in SF, CA with Broadway director, Mindy Cooper
- 2018 Selected to perform and present at the Parliament of World Religions in Toronto, Canada
- 2018 "Lines in the Land" - Honorable Mention / Mid-Atlantic Songwriting Competition
- 2017 SERFA Formal Showcase
- 2016 NERFA Formal Showcase
- 2016 "I Am Here"- Winner, Empower Music Awards, Tampa Fl
- 2016 "Trust" - Winner - The Indie Acoustic Project/Best Ensemble CD of 2015
- 2015 "Trust" - Finalist in the Mid-Atlantic Songwriting Competition
- 2015 NERFA DJ Showcase
- 2015 "I Am Here- Top Song/ John Platt, WFUV
- 2015 TRUST CD- Top 10 CD / Joe Pzsonek, WMSC
- 2015 TRUST CD - #9 Folk DJ Charts, Feb/ #43 for 2015
- 2015 South Florida Folk Festival Songwriting Competition Finalist
- 2014 Emerging Artist: Falcon Ridge,
- 2014 NERFA NJ Featured showcase artists
- 2014 Honorable Mention / Falcon Ridge "Most Wanted" Artists
- 2013 Top 10 CD +Song / John Platt, WFUV
- 2013 (March) / FOLK DJ Top 20 CDs/Top 25 Artists
- 2011 Winner, Connecticut Folk Festival Songwriter Competition
BOOKING / PROMOTION CONTACTS
Ira Scott- Summersongs Unlimited
firstname.lastname@example.org / 201-573-0718
QUOTES / PRESS
“The Levins music..a much needed remedy for a hurried and harried world. They serve to remind us of the old adage that says music and poetry can indeed be a soothing balm for troubled times.”Lee Zimmerman, NoDepression.com(CD review)
"The Levins sing from their soul and reach the souls of others. They are the minstrels of the spirit for this age of spirituality. Ira and Julia belong to a very small group of artists writing lyrics and music that embodies the inter-spiritual message of our time. They are right up there with the best of the best song writers of this generation." - Dr. Andrew Vidich, Author of Light Upon Light, and Let There Be Light.
- "Songs that smile…. remarkable vocal arrangements that feature intertwining lines and gorgeous harmonies, a sun-splashed style underscores the positive messages of love, peace and self-awareness. A perfect antidote to the headlines of the NY Times and the world of sadness and horror hinted at on television. The straight forward vocals and unhurried tempos allow listeners to share in the earnest and honest musical art that Julia and Ira have perfected. Each tune serves as another stepping stone toward a better day and a richer life." ~ Tom Staudter
- "Somewhere between Jackie & Roy, Lou & Peter Berryman, and Kim & Reggie Harris lie the Levins. The songwriting is alluring, the vocals seem like one-blended, their playing and stage presence just perfect. In the pantheon of husband-wife duos, in any genre of music, run the tape and see....this duo is how it is done." ~Vance Gilbert
- "Their voices fit together, like water and ice, like heat and steam. Something joyful explodes inside the listeners chest like a Roman candle. Their effect may, in fact, begin before they start to play. Even at first glance, Ira and Julia seem to radiate a positive energy. That 'look' always keeps its promise." ~ R. Cuccaro, Acoustic Live NYC and Beyond
- "The Levins have that all-too-rare combination of upbeat, sonically-active lyrics set to harmonically interesting music, presented with a professional and engaging stage presence. " ~ Bill Pere, 2012 Grammy Winner, L.U.N.C.H
- "The Levins new cd Trust is a nonpareil example of perfect harmonization coupled with the lyrical and melodic gifts of a Paul Simon. I was impressed (rightly so) with their last cd and this new project cements the fact of their superlative artistry." John Hammel, Mozart to Motorhead
- "Above all, The Levins harmonies recall the best of classic pop vocals like The Beatles, James Taylor,Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young." Dan Pine- J. / the news weekly of N.California"